Ressortissant britannique (ou famille) installé en France avant le 31 décembre 2020 : vous avez jusqu’au 30 juin pour faire votre demande de titre de séjour en ligne

You are a british citizen

Driving licence

Changes are coming on 1 January!

On 30 December 2020, the EU and UK signed a trade and cooperation agreement which will determine the rules that apply from 1 January 2021 to relations between the EU and the UK in a number of areas.

Since 1 January 2021, although an agreement has been reached, major changes must be taken into consideration.

The rules for UK driving licence holders are different whether you visit France, are resident under the withdrawal agreement or move there after 1 January 2021.

You are concerned if you are a British citizen living in France and having a British driving licence to drive in France ; if you want to use your British driving license while traveling to France.

If you did not find the answers to your questions on this page, you can contact us at the following address:

  • Imprimer


asked questions

  • What is the situation during the transition period ?
  • During the transition period, you will be able to drive in France and in the other EU Member States with your British driving licence.


  • What will the situation be at the end of the transition period ?
  • Thereafter, there will be three main scenarios depending on whether you are driving in France as a tourist or resident:

    • If you are resident in France your British driving licence will be recognised in France for one year as of 1 january 2021. New provisions will soon specify the modalities of recognition and/or exchange for holders of a British permit residing in France.
    • If you are a tourist in France after the end of the transition period, you will be able to drive with your licence obtained by means of a driving test in the UK for the duration of your stay. An international licence is not required.
    • If you intend to settle in France, after the transition period, or you are resident in France but have not exchanged your British driving licence for a French licence, your British driving licence will be recognised in France for one year but you will be required to apply to exchange it during this period if a reciprocal agreement is concluded between France and the United Kingdom.

    However, after the transition period, if you have a British driving licence and wish to drive in other Member States you should contact those States. Each EU Member State has sovereign authority to determine the regulations applying to recognising and exchanging driving licences with non-EU countries.

    For more information :