You are a british citizen


With the ratification of the withdrawal agreement, the transition period guarantees that nothing will change for individuals and businesses in 2020 in order to give everyone the time to prepare for the implementation of the withdrawal agreement and the future relationship between the EU and the United Kingdom, which still remains to be negotiated.

The end of the transition period will have implications for EU and British citizens and economic players established in the EU and the UK, regardless of whether an agreement is reached on the future relationship. You must anticipate these changes.

You are concerned if you are a British citizen living in France and you want your periods of employment and contribution to be taken into account to calculate your pension entitlement.

If you did not find the answers to your questions on this page, you can contact us at the following address:

  • Imprimer


asked questions

  • How will my pension entitlement be calculated if I return to the UK?
  • If you move back to the United Kingdom, your pension entitlement will be calculated on the basis of the same rules as apply now, pursuant to the withdrawal agreement. The social security coordination rules under EU regulations will remain applicable by France and the United Kingdom irrespective of the pension settlement date.

  • I live in France and I am a recipient of a British pension (old age, disability, survivor's pension, etc.). As of 1 January 2021, will my health coverage situation change and if so, under what conditions?
  • Under the provisions of the withdrawal agreement and if your situation remains the same, your health insurance coverage and the conditions under which you are insured will not change. You will continue to receive benefits under the same conditions as you do now.

    EU rules on coordination of social security systems will continue to apply after 31 December 2020, which signals the end of the transition period, meaning that your rights will be maintained. These rules provide that – if you are receiving a pension from one State and reside in the territory of another State – your health insurance will be covered by the State that pays your pension. This means that your healthcare costs in France will continue to be covered by the French social security system on behalf of the United Kingdom.

    If you have not already done so, you must request an S1 form “Registering for healthcare cover” from your British pension fund. This document will allow you to register with the French health insurance fund in your place of residence. The form will be valid for your entire period of residency in France and will provide you with coverage under the same conditions as a person insured under the French social security system.

    If you also start to receive a French pension, and you continue to live in France, the coordination rules provide that the French system will directly cover your health insurance.